The Health Benefits of Olive Oil
Olive oil has long been touted as a “healthy fat,” but what exactly does that mean? Are there really health benefits to olive oil in Ohio? With the popularity of the Mediterranean diet, you might be wondering if something so delicious can really be as healthy as the experts claim. The good news? It is, and there are several major health benefits that have been proven by scientific research.
As always, dietary fats should be consumed in moderation, and you should consult with a physician before undergoing a new diet or health regimen. Here’s a closer look at olive oil’s health benefits:
- It isn’t responsible for your weight gain: While consuming excessive amounts of fat isn’t healthy, a diet rich in olive oil isn’t linked to weight gain or obesity. Research suggests that it may even aid in weight loss.
- It can protect against heart disease: Heart disease is a leading cause of death worldwide, but olive oil can protect you with its anti-inflammatory and cholesterol-lowering properties. It also lowers your blood pressure, and may prevent excessive clotting.
- It’s full of healthy fat: Monounsaturated fats are often considered healthy, and olive oil contains 73 percent oleic acid. Oleic acid has anti-inflammatory properties, and may even combat cancer.
- It has anti-bacterial properties: It’s weird, but true—the nutrients in olive oil have bacteria-fighting powers, including against the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers and stomach cancer. In fact, olive oil has been shown to be effective where antibiotics are not.
- It’s an anti-inflammatory: Not only is oleic acid an anti-inflammatory, but olive oil is full of oleocanthal. Oleocanthal is a natural anti-inflammatory substance that works similarly to ibuprofen. The anti-inflammatory properties are a huge reason olive oil is so effective at warding off diseases that are caused by chronic inflammation.
- It can fight strokes: By switching from other fats to olive oil, you could help prevent a stroke. Olive oil has been proven to be the only fat that isn’t associated with an increased risk of stroke. This may be thanks to its potential utility in fighting excessive clotting, as strokes are caused by blood clots or bleeding in the brain.
- It wards off a number of other diseases: Not only does olive oil prevent heart disease and stroke, but it may also have a role in preventing or reducing the effects of Alzheimer’s, type 2 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and even cancer.
It’s clear that olive oil is a healthy and delicious choice on a lot of levels.
Harness the health benefits of olive oil in Ohio
If you’re a retail, food service or industrial business, Olivamed LLC can handle your olive oil needs. We are a supplier, packager and distributor of the finest olive oils in the world, thanks to our international connections in the industry. Our private labeling, packaging, supply and fulfillment services allow you to harness the health benefits of olive oil for your Ohio business. Call us today to learn more about what we can offer your operation.
Categorized in: EVOO