In addition to tasting great, olive oil has a number of proven health benefits that make it a popular cooking choice. It’s one of the healthiest fats available, full of antioxidants and can even prevent serious maladies like strokes—but did you know that there are plenty of alternative uses for olive oil in Ohio? Here are a few of our favorites—and the best part is that you don’t have to use a premium-quality olive oil to achieve these effects. Next time you have a surplus of olive oil, give these uses a try:
- Hair tamer: If you have frizzy hair (especially during the Midwest’s summer humidity), use a scant amount of olive oil to tame your frizz. Rub a little olive oil into your palms and gently stroke it over your hair to keep flyaways down.
- Lip balm: Thanks to olive oil’s high fat content, it can help make a great lip balm—just melt it along with beeswax in a 1:1 ratio and add a drop or two of essential oil for a DIY lip balm that will prevent chapping and smell great.
- Furniture polish: Just a teaspoon of olive oil, a squeeze of citrus juice (or vinegar) and a soft rag is all you need to keep your wooden furniture looking great. The citrus and vinegar amp up the cleaning properties while the oil conditions the wood.
- Shaving aid: Prevent irritation and sensitivity when you smooth olive oil over your skin before shaving.
- Cat health (and beauty): Obviously, your cat is already the most beautiful pet possible—but when you add a little olive oil to their food, you can make their coat shinier and prevent hairballs.
- Snore destroyer: If your partner snores, have them take a sip of olive oil before bed—it can lubricate the throat muscles enough so that you’re not listening to log-sawing all night long.
- Bath oil: Just like your cat, you can keep yourself soft (and shiny) when you run a little olive oil into your bathwater. (Just be aware that it will defeat the purpose of bubble bath.)
- Exfoliant: Mixing olive oil with salt or spent coffee grounds makes a skin exfoliant that will keep you moisturized, too.
- Hand care: No hand lotion handy? Olive oil will keep your hands soft.
- Cooking aid: To keep honey and other sticky ingredients from sticking to your measuring cups, lubricate them with olive oil first.
- Zipper helper: You can use olive oil to free a stuck zipper when you apply a small amount to the offending garment.
- Brass and stainless steel shine: Finally, keep your pots and pans shiny by applying a thin coat after washing.
Olive oil alternatives in Ohio
Liquid Manufacturing Solutions, Inc. is an olive oil packing and distribution company in Ohio, dedicated to providing our clients with the highest quality olive oils and blends available. Whether you’re looking for a supplier for your beauty and home products or want to create your own line of premier olive oil blends, we can help. Reach out to us today to learn more about what we can do for your company.
Categorized in: Olive Oil Benefits